From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 09:09:18
1 2016-09-01 11:54 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 11:49:43 +0300, gevisz wrote:
3 >
4 >> > If your filesystem becomes corrupt (and you are unable to
5 >> > repair it), *all* of your data is lost (instead of just
6 >> > one partition). That's the only disadvantage I can think
7 >> > of.
8 >>
9 >> That is exactly what I am afraid of!
10 >>
11 >> So, the 20-years old rule of thumb is still valid. :(
12 >>
13 >> > I don't like partitions either (after some years, I
14 >> > always found that sizes don't match my requirements any
15 >> > more),
16 >>
17 >> And this is exactly the reason why I do not want to partition
18 >> my new hard drive! :)
19 >
20 > Have you considered LVM? You get the benefits of separate filesystems
21 > without the limitations of inflexible partitioning.
22
23 I am afraid of LVM because of the same reason as described below:
24
25 returning to the "old good times" of MS DOS 6.22, I do remember that working
26 then on 40MB (yes, megabytes) hard drive I used some program that compressed
27 all the data before saving them on that hard drive. Unfortunately, one day,
28 because of the corruption, I lost all the data on that hard drive. Since then,
29 I am very much afraid of compressed or encrypted hard drives.
30
31 > Neil Bothwick
32 >
33 > For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the
34 > quality of life, please press three.