From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 08:54:24
1 On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 11:49:43 +0300, gevisz wrote:
2
3 > > If your filesystem becomes corrupt (and you are unable to
4 > > repair it), *all* of your data is lost (instead of just
5 > > one partition). That's the only disadvantage I can think
6 > > of.
7 >
8 > That is exactly what I am afraid of!
9 >
10 > So, the 20-years old rule of thumb is still valid. :(
11 >
12 > > I don't like partitions either (after some years, I
13 > > always found that sizes don't match my requirements any
14 > > more),
15 >
16 > And this is exactly the reason why I do not want to partition
17 > my new hard drive! :)
18
19 Have you considered LVM? You get the benefits of separate filesystems
20 without the limitations of inflexible partitioning.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the
27 quality of life, please press three.