From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 12:21:51
1 On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:09:09 +0300, gevisz wrote:
2
3 > > Have you considered LVM? You get the benefits of separate filesystems
4 > > without the limitations of inflexible partitioning.
5 >
6 > I am afraid of LVM because of the same reason as described below:
7 >
8 > returning to the "old good times" of MS DOS 6.22, I do remember that
9 > working then on 40MB (yes, megabytes) hard drive I used some program
10 > that compressed all the data before saving them on that hard drive.
11 > Unfortunately, one day, because of the corruption, I lost all the data
12 > on that hard drive. Since then, I am very much afraid of compressed or
13 > encrypted hard drives.
14
15 LVM is neither encrypted nor compressed. The filesystems on it are no
16 different to the filesystems on physical partitions, and subject to the
17 same risks. An LVM logical volume is just a block device that is treated
18 the same as a physical partition on a non-LVM setup.
19
20 Sp far, you have come up with reasons, good or otherwise, for not taking
21 each of the available choices. You need to decide what you really need
22 and what is important to you. Only then can you decide on the best
23 arrangement for your needs.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal!