From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 19:04:34
1 2016-09-01 15:21 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:09:09 +0300, gevisz wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Have you considered LVM? You get the benefits of separate filesystems
5 >> > without the limitations of inflexible partitioning.
6 >>
7 >> I am afraid of LVM because of the same reason as described below:
8 >>
9 >> returning to the "old good times" of MS DOS 6.22, I do remember that
10 >> working then on 40MB (yes, megabytes) hard drive I used some program
11 >> that compressed all the data before saving them on that hard drive.
12 >> Unfortunately, one day, because of the corruption, I lost all the data
13 >> on that hard drive. Since then, I am very much afraid of compressed or
14 >> encrypted hard drives.
15 >
16 > LVM is neither encrypted nor compressed. The filesystems on it are no
17 > different to the filesystems on physical partitions, and subject to the
18 > same risks. An LVM logical volume is just a block device that is treated
19 > the same as a physical partition on a non-LVM setup.
20
21 Thank you for the explanation, I have also just refreshed my memory
22 about LVM before replying to you but still can not see any reason why
23 I may need LVM on an external hard drive...
24
25 > Sp far, you have come up with reasons, good or otherwise, for not taking
26 > each of the available choices. You need to decide what you really need
27 > and what is important to you. Only then can you decide on the best
28 > arrangement for your needs.
29 >
30 > Neil Bothwick
31 >
32 > Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal!
33
34 :)