From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 21:26:33
1 Am Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:09:09 +0300
2 schrieb gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
3
4 > 2016-09-01 11:54 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
5 > > On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 11:49:43 +0300, gevisz wrote:
6 > >
7 > [...]
8 > >>
9 > >> That is exactly what I am afraid of!
10 > >>
11 > >> So, the 20-years old rule of thumb is still valid. :(
12 > >>
13 > [...]
14 > >>
15 > >> And this is exactly the reason why I do not want to partition
16 > >> my new hard drive! :)
17 > >
18 > > Have you considered LVM? You get the benefits of separate
19 > > filesystems without the limitations of inflexible partitioning.
20 >
21 > I am afraid of LVM because of the same reason as described below:
22 >
23 > returning to the "old good times" of MS DOS 6.22, I do remember that
24 > working then on 40MB (yes, megabytes) hard drive I used some program
25 > that compressed all the data before saving them on that hard drive.
26 > Unfortunately, one day, because of the corruption, I lost all the
27 > data on that hard drive. Since then, I am very much afraid of
28 > compressed or encrypted hard drives.
29
30 You are talking of software like Double Disk or what it was called.
31 This is a complete different scenario, it was a virtual filesystem
32 inside a filesystem. You layered two indirections on top of each other.
33 Chances were, if the top layer broke somewhere, the lower layer became
34 inaccessible. You have been hit by this problem.
35
36 LVM works different. It allocates huge blocks as virtual partitions, and
37 doesn't indirect each single fs-level block in a fine-grained
38 structure. Of course, there's still the chance that the descriptive
39 block of LVM can become corrupted - but so can your partition table.
40 The solution is simple: dump the LVM configuration block that holds the
41 on-disk structure - then you can replay it. The same, as you would do
42 with partition tables: Back them up to replay them.
43
44 Backup the whole fs if data is important. If you are low on storage but
45 retention is important, I'd recommend borgbackup.
49 Regards,
50 Kai
51
52 Replies to list-only preferred.