From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 19:18:09
1 2016-09-01 15:51 GMT+03:00 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > On Thursday, September 01, 2016 12:09:09 PM gevisz wrote:
4 >> 2016-09-01 11:54 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
5 >> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 11:49:43 +0300, gevisz wrote:
6 >> >> > If your filesystem becomes corrupt (and you are unable to
7 >> >> > repair it), *all* of your data is lost (instead of just
8 >> >> > one partition). That's the only disadvantage I can think
9 >> >> > of.
10 >> >>
11 >> >> That is exactly what I am afraid of!
12 >> >>
13 >> >> So, the 20-years old rule of thumb is still valid. :(
14 >> >>
15 >> >> > I don't like partitions either (after some years, I
16 >> >> > always found that sizes don't match my requirements any
17 >> >> > more),
18 >> >>
19 >> >> And this is exactly the reason why I do not want to partition
20 >> >> my new hard drive! :)
21 >> >
22 >> > Have you considered LVM? You get the benefits of separate filesystems
23 >> > without the limitations of inflexible partitioning.
24 >>
25 >> I am afraid of LVM because of the same reason as described below:
26 >>
27 >> returning to the "old good times" of MS DOS 6.22, I do remember that working
28 >> then on 40MB (yes, megabytes) hard drive I used some program that
29 >> compressed all the data before saving them on that hard drive.
30 >> Unfortunately, one day, because of the corruption, I lost all the data on
31 >> that hard drive. Since then, I am very much afraid of compressed or
32 >> encrypted hard drives.
33 >
34 > LVM doesn't *need* to do any of that. It will only do as much as you tell it
35 > to do. If you only want to use it as a way of reshaping relatively simple
36 > partitions, you can use it for that.
37 >
38 > Honestly, I tend not to create separate partitions for separate mount points
39 > these days. At least, not on personal systems. For servers, it's can be
40 > beneficial to have /var separate from /, or /var/log separate from /var, or
41 > /var/spool, or /var/lib/mysql, or what have you. But the biggest driver for
42 > that, IME, is if one of those fills up, it can't take down the rest of the
43 > host.
44 >
45 > In your case, I'd suggest using a single / filesystem. If it works, it works.
46 > If it doesn't, you'll know in the future where you need to be more flexible;
47 > there's no single panacea.
48
49 Thank you for the reply. And I even agree with you to the point that
50 on a Linux desktop it may be enough to have just 3 different partitions:
51 one - for /, second - for swap (yes, one can do without it nowadays),
52 and third - for /home. But you probably missed the point that it goes
53 about an external drive dedicated to backups only.