From: Justin Findlay <jfindlay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Mysterious vanishing of DNS entry of www.youtube.com...was I hacked?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 00:10:43
1 On 03/10/2015 01:35 PM, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
2 >> Most modems and routers have really bad DNS proxies. I tend to either
3 >> run my own or use Googles DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
4 >
5 > I don't like the idea that google is getting all information about my
6 > DNS queries. ;-)
7
8 If you need a temporary public resolver and you don't want to send more
9 info to google, you can use these public resolvers from Level 3:
10
11 4.2.2.1
12 4.2.2.2
13 4.2.2.3
14 4.2.2.4
15
16 You should normally use and know the DNS servers provided by the most
17 local networks you're in. If any of these are untrustworthy or
18 problematic, 4.2.2.2 should work well enough to get online to sort it out.
19
20 Here is an interesting intro to the subject (be sure to also read the
21 comments):
22
23 http://www.circleid.com/posts/20110407_top_public_dns_resolvers_compared/
26 Justin