From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Mysterious vanishing of DNS entry of www.youtube.com...was I hacked?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:36:34
1 Am Dienstag, 10.03.2015 um 19:14
2 schrieb "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On 10 March 2015 19:16:12 CET, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > >Hi,
6 > >
7 > >the following happens some minutes before:
8 > >I was searching on youtube for some reviews...
9 > >and suddenly BOOM: "Server not found: Unknow host"
10 > >
11 > >I restarted firefox...which did not help.
12 > >
13 > >I did a ping & traceroute to www.youtube.com from
14 > >the commandline...same results...
15 > >
16 > >Wireshark shows the DNS query to my DSL modem...
17 > >and the answer was that from above.
18 > >
19 > >I rebooted my Gentoo box...no help...
20 > >
21 > >The problem vanishes as I powercycled my DSL modem.
22 > >
23 > >Any other access was working the whole time.
24 > >
25 > >Was my DSL modem hacked?
26 > >Does anyone else noticed a glithc in the matrix?
27 > >
28 > >Best regards,
29 > >mcc
30 >
31 > Most modems and routers have really bad DNS proxies. I tend to either
32 > run my own or use Googles DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
33
34 I don't like the idea that google is getting all information about my
35 DNS queries. ;-)
36
37 I usually prefer the DNS servers from my ISP as forwarding servers for
38 my router (which has a proper working DNS proxy). These DNS servers are
39 just a few hops away and therefore responding very fast.
42 Regards
43 wabe