From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Do I really need 194 pkgs to install git?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 16:26:21
1 Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 08/02/2013 08:22 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Now, is it reasonable to install that way? Will I run into some
6 >> horrible unsightly mess using git, when installed this way.
9 > Without USE=perl, you'll get a surprise if you try to `git add -i`.
10
11 Well, I do have perl installed so if its just a matter of having perl
12 available then wouldn't it still work?
13
14 ------- ------- ---=--- ------- -------
15 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> writes:
16
17 [...]
18
19 Harry wrote:
20 >> Now, is it reasonable to install that way? Will I run into some
21 >> horrible unsightly mess using git, when installed this way.
22
23 Marc replied:
24 > I think that depends entirely on how exactly you plan on using git,
25 > for example:
26 >
27 > - "python" and "perl" seem to control additional python and perl packages, but
28 > they are also used by some commit hooks and scripts
29 > - tk is required for the gitk GUI (which is useful for browsing history)
30 > - gpg is required for gpg commit signing
31 > - cvs and subversion are only needed for the "git-cvs" and "git-svn" commands
32 >
33 > Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what you would be missing through such, uh,
34 > "radical" minimalism ;) ; "equery uses git" is your friend for some of the
35 > other flags, e.g., curl is required for http[s]:// repository URLs.
36
37 Thanks for the walkthru... My main reason to install git is to clone
38 sources for emacs and gnus... emacs actually uses bazaar, but there is
39 a git mirror of the bazaar repo.
40
41 Wang Xuerui <idontknw.wang@×××××.com> writes:
42