From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 18:07:21
1 On 13/11/2021 16:52, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 12:35 AM William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Look at the odroid HC4 - I am using 5x the older HC2 version for moosefs
5 >> - they are USB3 based but work well in this application. They are arm32
6 >> but 64bit is not needed.
7 >
8 > I like the idea behind the HC series Odroids, but being limited to 1-2
9 > drives per node seems a bit contraining. With the USB3 approach there
10 > really is no limit to how many drives I can put on a node, as long as
11 > I don't mind the performance drop. I'm more concerned with static
12 > storage capacity in this case. If you're using 1Gbps ethernet then I
13 > guess two drives is already going to saturate the network if they're
14 > able to read sequentially.
15 >
16 Note that the md-raid advice is "do NOT use USB. We don't understand
17 why, but bad things seem to happen". Even when explicitly designed for
18 it, multiplexing drives on a single comms channel isn't always a good
19 idea...
20
21 Years ago I built a CD copy station. Can't remember the exact layout,
22 but it was something like three CD-writers and a hard drive on PATA-0
23 and PATA-1. I think the CD-writers achieved something like 0.5x speeds!
24
25 So we bought two add-in cards, with the hd and first CD-writer were on
26 PATA-0, and one CD-writer each on PATA-1, PATA-2 and PATA-3. They FLEW!
27 They were something like 32x drives and really achieved a full write in
28 about 2 minutes!
29
30 Cheers,
31 Wol