From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 17:33:45
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
4 > On Thursday 07 April 2011 06:52:26 BRM wrote:
5 > > ----- Original Message ----
6 > >
7 > > > From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
8 > > >
9 > > > On Thursday 07 April 2011 06:20:55 BRM wrote:
10 > > > > ----- Original Message ----
11 > > > >
12 > > > > > From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
13 > > > > >
14 > > > > > On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 05:22:41 -0500, Dale wrote:
15 > > > > > > I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough
16 > > > > > > to put my
17 > > > > > >
18 > > > > > > OS
19 > > > > > > on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
20 > > > > >
21 > > > > > This doesn't make sense. Your OS can be reinstalled in an hour
22 > > > > > or two, your photos etc. are irreplaceable.
23 > > > >
24 > > > > Makes perfect sense to me as well.
25 > > > >
26 > > > > Having installed LVM - and then removed it due to issues; namely,
27 > > > > the fact that one of the hard drives died taking out the whole LVM
28 > > > > group, leaving the OS unbootable, and not easily fixable. There
29 > > > > was a thread on that (started by me) a while back (over a year).
30 > > > >
31 > > > > So, perhaps if I had a RAID to underly so I could mirror drives
32 > > > > under LVM
33 > > > >
34 > > > > for recovery I'd move to it again. But otherwise it is just a PITA
35 > > > > waiting
36 > > > >
37 > > > > to happen.
38 > > > >
39 > > > > Ben
40 > > >
41 > > > Unfortunately, any method that spreads a filesystem over multiple disks
42 > > > can be
43 > > >
44 > > > affected if one of those disks dies unless there is some mechanism in
45 > > > place that can handle the loss of a disk.
46 > > > For that, RAID (with the exception of striping, eg. RAID-0) provides
47 > > > that.
48 > > >
49 > > > Just out of curiousity, as I never had the need to look into this, I
50 > > > think that, in theory, it should be possible to recover data from LVs
51 > > > that were not
52 > > >
53 > > > using the failed drive. Is this assumption correct or wrong?
54 > >
55 > > If you have the LV configuration information, then yes. Since I managed to
56 > > find the configuration information, I was able to remove the affected PVs
57 > > from the VG, and get it back up.
58 > > I might still have it running, but I'll back it out on the next rebuild -
59 or
60 > > if I have a drive large enough to do so with in the future. I was wanting
61 > > to use LVM as a bit of a software RAID, but never quite got
62 > > that far in the configuration before it failed. It does do a good job at
63 > > what it's designed for, but I would not trust the OS to it either since the
64 > > LVM configuration is very important to keep around.
65 > >
66 > > If not, good luck as far as I can tell.
67 > >
68 > > Ben
69 >
70 > LVM isn't actually RAID. Not in the sense that one gets redundancy. If you
71 > consider it to be a flexible partitioning method, that can span multiple
72 >disks,
73 >
74 > then yes.
75 > But when spanning multiple disks, it will simply act like JBOD or RAID0.
76 > Neither protects someone from a single disk failure.
77 >
78 > On critical systems, I tend to use:
79 > DISK <-> RAID <-> LVM <-> Filesystem
80 >
81 > The disks are as reliable as Google says they are. They fail or they don't.
82 > RAID protects against single disk-failure
83 > LVM makes the partitioning flexible
84 > Filesystems are picked depending on what I use the partition for
87 The attraction to LVM for me was that from what I could tell it supported and
88 implemented a software-RAID
89 so that I could help protect from disk-failure. I never got around to
90 configuring that side of it, but that was my goal.
91 Or are you saying I was misunderstanding and LVM _does not_ contain
92 software-RAID support?
93
94 Ben