From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:16:06
1 On Thursday 07 April 2011 06:52:26 BRM wrote:
2 > ----- Original Message ----
3 >
4 > > From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
5 > >
6 > > On Thursday 07 April 2011 06:20:55 BRM wrote:
7 > > > ----- Original Message ----
8 > > >
9 > > > > From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
10 > > > >
11 > > > > On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 05:22:41 -0500, Dale wrote:
12 > > > > > I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough
13 > > > > > to put my
14 > > > > >
15 > > > > > OS
16 > > > > > on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
17 > > > >
18 > > > > This doesn't make sense. Your OS can be reinstalled in an hour
19 > > > > or two, your photos etc. are irreplaceable.
20 > > >
21 > > > Makes perfect sense to me as well.
22 > > >
23 > > > Having installed LVM - and then removed it due to issues; namely,
24 > > > the fact that one of the hard drives died taking out the whole LVM
25 > > > group, leaving the OS unbootable, and not easily fixable. There
26 > > > was a thread on that (started by me) a while back (over a year).
27 > > >
28 > > > So, perhaps if I had a RAID to underly so I could mirror drives
29 > > > under LVM
30 > > >
31 > > > for recovery I'd move to it again. But otherwise it is just a PITA
32 > > > waiting
33 > > >
34 > > > to happen.
35 > > >
36 > > > Ben
37 > >
38 > > Unfortunately, any method that spreads a filesystem over multiple disks
39 > > can be
40 > >
41 > > affected if one of those disks dies unless there is some mechanism in
42 > > place that can handle the loss of a disk.
43 > > For that, RAID (with the exception of striping, eg. RAID-0) provides
44 > > that.
45 > >
46 > > Just out of curiousity, as I never had the need to look into this, I
47 > > think that, in theory, it should be possible to recover data from LVs
48 > > that were not
49 > >
50 > > using the failed drive. Is this assumption correct or wrong?
51 >
52 > If you have the LV configuration information, then yes. Since I managed to
53 > find the configuration information, I was able to remove the affected PVs
54 > from the VG, and get it back up.
55 > I might still have it running, but I'll back it out on the next rebuild - or
56 > if I have a drive large enough to do so with in the future. I was wanting
57 > to use LVM as a bit of a software RAID, but never quite got
58 > that far in the configuration before it failed. It does do a good job at
59 > what it's designed for, but I would not trust the OS to it either since the
60 > LVM configuration is very important to keep around.
61 >
62 > If not, good luck as far as I can tell.
63 >
64 > Ben
65
66 LVM isn't actually RAID. Not in the sense that one gets redundancy. If you
67 consider it to be a flexible partitioning method, that can span multiple disks,
68 then yes.
69 But when spanning multiple disks, it will simply act like JBOD or RAID0.
70 Neither protects someone from a single disk failure.
71
72 On critical systems, I tend to use:
73 DISK <-> RAID <-> LVM <-> Filesystem
74
75 The disks are as reliable as Google says they are. They fail or they don't.
76 RAID protects against single disk-failure
77 LVM makes the partitioning flexible
78 Filesystems are picked depending on what I use the partition for
81 Joost