From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Unusual console input problem certain keys dead
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 23:12:08
1 Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 03:59:17PM -0600, Penguin Lover Harry Putnam
4 > squawked:
5
6 >> Key `e' and `/' when pressed just do nothing whatever. I think
7 >> there way be a bell since I see a flash when ssh'd in from and
8 >> Xterm in a X session on another machine. I may not have sound
9 >> enabled... not sure right now.
10
11 [...]
12
13 > Sounds to me like a problem with readline. Is your /etc/inputrc or
14 > ~/.inputrc per chance corrupted?
15 >
16 > You can try re-installing readline and/or baselayout (baselayout
17 > is responsible for /etc/inputrc).
18
19 I think you're on to something... moving ~/.inputrc and /etc/inputrc to
20 ...inputrcX Stopped the problem.
21
22 Then I put /etc/inputrc back and left ~/.inputrcX renamed.
23
24 That also works... examining .inputrcX, I had a multi-line entry
25 involving back slashing quite a few double quotes in the
26 entry... (A lengthy rsync command with a number of command line
27 exclusions).
28
29 Apparently some error there with the newlines or back slashing
30 double quotes.
31
32 I couldn't really identify the error but deleting the entry has made
33 the problem go away... thanks... good call.
34
35 I'm curious how'd you know it was readline related?