From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating hard drives
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 17:44:59
1 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Thank you, I've booted to a LiveCD I'm in the middle of copying
4 > everything from the old drive to the new drive with:
5 >
6 > cp -ax /olddrive/* /newdrive/
7
8 "cp" neither has a "-a" nor a "-x" option. Are you talking abut "gcp"?
9
10 > but it's taking hours. Both drives are SATAII and there is about
11 > 250GB of data to transfer. The CD spins periodically, the hard disk
12 > activity light stays lit, and I can hear the old drive working
13 > periodically, but I'm thinking this is too long.
14
15 The fastest and most correct way to copy directory trees is to use star
16 because star forks into two processes and decouples the read process
17 from the write process.
18
19 star -copy -p -acl -sparse -xdot -time -C /olddrive . /newdrive
20
21 If you have plenty of RAM, give star half of the RAM as FIFO using the fs=
22 option (e.g. fs=256M).
23
24 If your new filesystem is not optimized for write speed, you may like to add
25 the -no-fsync option but then star cannot tell you whether the copy was
26 successful (BTW: GNU tar never calls fsync(2) and thus never may grant a
27 successful copy).
28
29 ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/star/
30