From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating hard drives
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 17:11:47
1 >> I'm about to switch from one SATA hard drive to another and I'm
2 >> planning on going through the normal installation process except for
3 >> copying over the data on each partition of my old drive to the
4 >> corresponding partition on my new drive. Is there anything to watch
5 >> out for? Pitfalls to avoid, etc?
6 >>
7 >> - Grant
8 >>
9 > You should take a look at this one:
10 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Move_Gentoo_Installation_to_new_hard_disk
11
12 Thank you, I've booted to a LiveCD I'm in the middle of copying
13 everything from the old drive to the new drive with:
14
15 cp -ax /olddrive/* /newdrive/
16
17 but it's taking hours. Both drives are SATAII and there is about
18 250GB of data to transfer. The CD spins periodically, the hard disk
19 activity light stays lit, and I can hear the old drive working
20 periodically, but I'm thinking this is too long.
21
22 Is there something I could have forgotten to do? Is there a way to
23 check on the progress?
24
25 - Grant