From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SATA
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:57:24
1 On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2
3 > I am trying to install a SATA drive from another machine, so I can
4 > access backups and install them into the current system's filesystem.
5 >
6 > lspci gives the following
7 > moon lngndvs # lspci |grep ATA
8 > 00:16.1 IDE interface: ALi Corporation ULi M5288 SATA
9 >
10 > However according to dmesg, nothing is recognized or configured. I'm
11 > not sure where to turn next. Besides compiling support into the
12 > kernel, what else must me done? I have compiled a kernel with support
13 > for ULI SATA (SCSI_SATA_ULI).
14
15 There are several sets of messages you should be getting. There should be
16 one for the driver, one for the controller, and then one for each drive. I
17 get:
18
19 libata version 2.00 loaded.
20 ata_piix 0000:00:1f.2 version 2.00
21 ...
22 ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 ...
23 ata2: PATA max UDMA/33 ...
24
25 If you're getting literally nothing, you didn't get the right options or
26 something. If you only get line 1, it's not finding your controller (maybe
27 the kernel doesn't have the PCI ID, or you need a slightly different
28 driver). If you only get lines 1 and 2, your disk isn't connected
29 properly, most likely.
30
31 -Daniel
32 *This .sig left intentionally blank*