From: "Arsen Arsenović" <arsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it OK to get rid of app-alternatives/* ?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 08:54:33
1 Hi,
2
3 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> writes:
4
5 > A whole bunch of busy-work for emerge, and nothing in the news item
6 > indicates it's really necessary for the average user. Howsabout...
7
8 It's definitely necessary. Those packages provide links for vital parts
9 of the filesystem, like /bin/sh.
10
11 Why do you want to remove them? If there's something we failed to
12 consider when implementing app-alternatives, please let us know and
13 we'll try to rectify the issue.
14
15 > * manually zapping with "rm -rf /var/db/repos/gentoo/app-alternatives"
16 > * and then include "app-alternatives" in the file pointed to by
17 > PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=<whatever>"
18 >
19 > Am I missing something obvious that would cause problems?
20
21 Have a great day.
22 --
23 Arsen Arsenović