From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is it OK to get rid of app-alternatives/* ?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 01:47:18
1 A whole bunch of busy-work for emerge, and nothing in the news item
2 indicates it's really necessary for the average user. Howsabout...
3
4 * manually zapping with "rm -rf /var/db/repos/gentoo/app-alternatives"
5 * and then include "app-alternatives" in the file pointed to by
6 PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=<whatever>"
7
8 Am I missing something obvious that would cause problems?
11 I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
12 frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
13 pop-up windows self-replicating, trying to uninstall RealPlayer. All
14 those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain... time to die.