From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox/Watefox and jack?
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 18:54:20
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 5 May 2020 18:33:29 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:43 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> <SNIP>
6 >>
7 >>> Question, somewhat off topic but somewhat on topic. I use smplayer to
8 >> send my videos to my TV using the second port on my video card. I set
9 >> smplayer to send the audio to the TV, instead of my puter speakers. I've
10 >> never used pulseaudio but with Firefox heading down that path, I might have
11 >> to switch. My question is, if I switched to pulseaudio, can I tell it that
12 >> smplayer goes to TV and things like Firefox, Seamonkey, gnome-player and
13 >> such goes to the puter speakers? From what I've read, it sounds like that
14 >> is pretty much what it does. Right now, I'm using ALSA, Kmix and friends.
15 >>
16 >> Short answer - yes, I believe so.
17 >>
18 >> Long answer - I don't know how much pulseaudio will remember settings from
19 >> session to session. If you emerge pavucontrol (kubuntu installs it by
20 >> default, it appears Gentoo requires you to add it. On my system it's
21 >> pavucontrol-qt) you should see something akin to this, assuming this link
22 >> survives email
23 >>
24 >> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B_Rgaomiru0DNmuTFUwZy-9q5p4SGo_L
25 >>
26 >> Each app has a section, each section can be routed where you please. Each
27 >> section has a horizontal VU meter so you can see where audio is coming
28 >> from.
29 >>
30 >> If you use pulseaudio then it owns the Alsa stack. You no longer
31 >> communicate with Alsa using the old apps. In the general case I believe
32 >> that alsamixer continues to work but I wouldn't bet on that for all systems
33 >> and all soundcards.
34 >>
35 >> HTH,
36 >> Mark
37 > Kmix displays both in different tabs. Of course it makes sense to use a tool
38 > you decided to install (e.g. pulseaudio) rather than trying to fight against
39 > it with alsamixer over control of the audio.
42 I was even thinking if I could disable things like Kmix and such to make
43 it simple.  I remember years ago when everything was muted by default.
44 After a fresh install, you would have to go to each audio program and
45 unmute in order to get sound.  Miss even one, no sound.  Having just one
46 seems to be more simple.
47
48 Waiting on some downloads to finish before I can do anything.  May have
49 to logout and back in again anyway,  That silly sddm thingy is still
50 hoggin up a lot of memory.  I have to reset about every day to clear
51 that up.  Where's my hammer??  :/
52
53 Dale
54