From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox/Watefox and jack?
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 18:23:20
1 On Tuesday, 5 May 2020 18:33:29 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:43 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > <SNIP>
5 >
6 > > Question, somewhat off topic but somewhat on topic. I use smplayer to
7 >
8 > send my videos to my TV using the second port on my video card. I set
9 > smplayer to send the audio to the TV, instead of my puter speakers. I've
10 > never used pulseaudio but with Firefox heading down that path, I might have
11 > to switch. My question is, if I switched to pulseaudio, can I tell it that
12 > smplayer goes to TV and things like Firefox, Seamonkey, gnome-player and
13 > such goes to the puter speakers? From what I've read, it sounds like that
14 > is pretty much what it does. Right now, I'm using ALSA, Kmix and friends.
15 >
16 > Short answer - yes, I believe so.
17 >
18 > Long answer - I don't know how much pulseaudio will remember settings from
19 > session to session. If you emerge pavucontrol (kubuntu installs it by
20 > default, it appears Gentoo requires you to add it. On my system it's
21 > pavucontrol-qt) you should see something akin to this, assuming this link
22 > survives email
23 >
24 > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B_Rgaomiru0DNmuTFUwZy-9q5p4SGo_L
25 >
26 > Each app has a section, each section can be routed where you please. Each
27 > section has a horizontal VU meter so you can see where audio is coming
28 > from.
29 >
30 > If you use pulseaudio then it owns the Alsa stack. You no longer
31 > communicate with Alsa using the old apps. In the general case I believe
32 > that alsamixer continues to work but I wouldn't bet on that for all systems
33 > and all soundcards.
34 >
35 > HTH,
36 > Mark
37
38 Kmix displays both in different tabs. Of course it makes sense to use a tool
39 you decided to install (e.g. pulseaudio) rather than trying to fight against
40 it with alsamixer over control of the audio.