From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} tried Nimsoft Monitoring?
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:07:32
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > Has anyone tried Nimsoft Monitoring? It's included at Soft Layer
4 > which must mean a free license.
5
6 No. IBM has a general strategy to "suck you in"
7 so caveat emptor...... You really wan to install
8 IBM binaries on any machine? (Think NSA).
9
10 > It looks like a substitute for Nagios.
11
12 Nagios has been under numerous stresses for
13 quite some time, for a variety of reasons, imho.
14 Forking, Borking, and Porking out is what I see
15 of Nagios; ymmv.
16
17 jffnms is well written, modular and quite responsive
18 to the individual's (organization's) needs, imho.
19 All in source code form.
20
21 Last time I checked, there was a new (recent) ebuild
22 for jffnms. Patches are easy to apply and I think
23 (Gentoo) folks are starting to use jffnms much more.
24
25 Check it out, most are happy with it, and find it
26 easy (particulary with SNMP 1,2.3) to install and extend.
27
28 Specific software stacks probably need specific (customized)
29 monitoring (hacks) tools, that are modified form existing
30 open source solutions?
31
32 Here's a solution, cheap and clean using htop:
33
34 htop | recode utf-8 > test.txt
35 cat test.txt
36
37 Surely a little research and you can some cool hacks?
38
39 > - Grant
40
41 hth,