From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} tried Nimsoft Monitoring?
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 05:42:42
1 >> Has anyone tried Nimsoft Monitoring? It's included at Soft Layer
2 >> which must mean a free license.
3 >
4 > No. IBM has a general strategy to "suck you in"
5 > so caveat emptor...... You really wan to install
6 > IBM binaries on any machine? (Think NSA).
7
8 Nevermind!
9
10 >> It looks like a substitute for Nagios.
11 >
12 > Nagios has been under numerous stresses for
13 > quite some time, for a variety of reasons, imho.
14 > Forking, Borking, and Porking out is what I see
15 > of Nagios; ymmv.
16
17 I didn't realize that.
18
19 > jffnms is well written, modular and quite responsive
20 > to the individual's (organization's) needs, imho.
21 > All in source code form.
22 >
23 > Last time I checked, there was a new (recent) ebuild
24 > for jffnms. Patches are easy to apply and I think
25 > (Gentoo) folks are starting to use jffnms much more.
26 >
27 > Check it out, most are happy with it, and find it
28 > easy (particulary with SNMP 1,2.3) to install and extend.
29
30 It looks great, thank you for the recommendation. Have you used
31 munin? If so, do you think jffnms is a substitute or compliment to
32 that package?
33
34 - Grant