From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} tried Nimsoft Monitoring?
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 06:09:57
1 On 17/09/2013 07:42, Grant wrote:
2 >>> Has anyone tried Nimsoft Monitoring? It's included at Soft Layer
3 >>> which must mean a free license.
4 >>
5 >> No. IBM has a general strategy to "suck you in"
6 >> so caveat emptor...... You really wan to install
7 >> IBM binaries on any machine? (Think NSA).
8 >
9 > Nevermind!
10 >
11 >>> It looks like a substitute for Nagios.
12 >>
13 >> Nagios has been under numerous stresses for
14 >> quite some time, for a variety of reasons, imho.
15 >> Forking, Borking, and Porking out is what I see
16 >> of Nagios; ymmv.
17 >
18 > I didn't realize that.
19 >
20 >> jffnms is well written, modular and quite responsive
21 >> to the individual's (organization's) needs, imho.
22 >> All in source code form.
23 >>
24 >> Last time I checked, there was a new (recent) ebuild
25 >> for jffnms. Patches are easy to apply and I think
26 >> (Gentoo) folks are starting to use jffnms much more.
27 >>
28 >> Check it out, most are happy with it, and find it
29 >> easy (particulary with SNMP 1,2.3) to install and extend.
30 >
31 > It looks great, thank you for the recommendation. Have you used
32 > munin? If so, do you think jffnms is a substitute or compliment to
33 > that package?
36 Munin and jffnms bear no real relation to each other. Yes they are
37 similar in that both can draw graphs but that's about where the
38 similarity ends.
39
40 Munin's job is to periodically poll a device using whatever means is
41 available and gather data from the device. The data is always in the
42 form of a number - it measures something. The data can be anything you
43 can generate a number for - logged in users, traffic through an
44 interface, load, number of database queries. The list is endless. Point
45 being, the device/computer/hosts reports it's own numbers to munin, and
46 munin draws graphs. Munin does not record state, it has no idea what the
47 state of something is.
48
49 Nagios is a problem child, it does not do what people assume it does (I
50 have constant fights about this at work). Nagios is a state monitoring
51 and reporting engine (simply because this is what it does well and
52 everything else it does it does poorly). Nagios will track if things are
53 up or down, if you acknowledged the condition and when, who to notify
54 when state changes (sms, mail, dashboard etc etc).
55
56 What Nagios does poorly (despite this being it's advertised purpose) is
57 getting state events into the system. It really really sucks at this and
58 is coded from an extremely narrow point of view. Which explains the
59 numerous forks around (they all implement vital real world features that
60 Ethan refuses to commit).
61
62 jffnms is something I don't use myself, but it looks like the same class
63 of app as Nagios. Don't be fooled into choosing between munin and
64 nagios/jffnms - they are not the same thing, not even close. Use both.
68 Alan McKinnon
69 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com