From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: converting any video to mpeg-1, mpeg-4 or DivX-5
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:31:30
1 On 15 December 2005 17:02, James wrote:
2
3 [ snip - lots of good stuff ]
4 > All things video are a work in progress. I can run (2) color
5 > video streams over a 56 kbps frame relay link, with acceptable
6 > quality for a utility. For their needs, nothing is close to
7 > H.264, at this time, as we have evaluated dozens of formats.
8 > H.264 is also the most efficient in raw video storage. Still
9 > I stuggle with a software package that will run on linux;
10 > one day. H.264 is largely being ignored by the 'open source'
11 > community, for obvious reason, but, it does yeild stunning
12 > results.
13
14 I can only agree on each single point.
15
16 We managed to encode a 1h45m movie in full TV quality (which isn't all that
17 much quality) using H.264 with a resulting file of about 500MB!!!!!! It took
18 5 hours on a dual G5 (yes, a mac). So encoding is rather expensive. Decoding
19 can be done on the fly. Especially interesting for me is that I can stream it
20 using just about 100Kb/s per stream. My target is a LAN with hundreds of
21 simultaneous streams, and H.264 let me get away with Gb technology for the
22 backbone.
23
24 All that said, I *can* watch H.264 on linux by now. No audio yet, though.
25 That's not the fault of ffmpeg; it's just that the encoding software on the
26 mac uses some audio codec I can not get my hands on for linux - yet.
27
28 Encoding H.264 on linux is a different bowl of fish. Last time I tried it, the
29 result was - how should I put it? - bizarre. But then, it is, like James
30 said, a work in progress. I had a ffmpeg snapshot from August, and it
31 couldn't display it at all. Got a snapshot from November, and it did it
32 beautifully - except for the audio.
33
34 For now, I use macs for a commercial product. The moment things get right on
35 linux, I'll drop macs and use linux boxes in newer deployments.
36
37 Uwe
40 Unix is sexy:
41 who | grep -i blonde | date