From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: converting any video to mpeg-1, mpeg-4 or DivX-5
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:02:14
1 Uwe Thiem <uwix <at> iway.na> writes:
4 > I can only agree on each single point.
5 > So encoding is rather expensive.
6
7 Well, I have a solution for this. openmosix:
8 http://openmosix.snarc.org/
9 http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/
10
11 I'm just a little timid to jump in now, as I'm drowning
12 with current obligations, promises, and a general
13 lack of deliverables....
16 > Encoding H.264 on linux is a different bowl of fish. Last time I tried it, the
17 > result was - how should I put it? - bizarre. But then, it is, like James
18 > said, a work in progress. I had a ffmpeg snapshot from August, and it
19 > couldn't display it at all. Got a snapshot from November, and it did it
20 > beautifully - except for the audio.
21
22 > For now, I use macs for a commercial product. The moment things get right on
23 > linux, I'll drop macs and use linux boxes in newer deployments.
24
25 Amen bro! I owe you some code. I have not forgotten. I did just get my
26 elphel 333 so it has captured my imagination and spare cpu_cycles
27 at the moment. I use DSPs both commercial and homespun_dev_hardware
28 to encode h.264. FPGA are on the near horizon.
29
30 Andrey has built one hell of a camera, and I'd encourage
31 anyone serious about video to purchase one of these *bad_boys*.
32 He's my latest hero when it comes to video!
33
34 He has open sourced the hardware and software, so I'll be noodling
35 around with verilog(VHDL) now, as if I did not have enough things to
36 eat away my time.
37
38 http://www.elphel.com
39 http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3888835064.html