From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 15:42:25
1 On 2 November 2014 13:14:56 WET, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am 01.11.2014 um 23:28 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
3 > > On 1 November 2014 17:19:18 WET, Peter Humphrey
4 > > <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Saturday 01 November 2014 15:38:43 Neil Bothwick wrote:
7 > >
8 > > One useful feature for me is that grub2 will boot from an
9 > ISO
10 > > image, I always keep system rescue cd image in /boot.
13 > > We all have our own ways of doing things. My equivalent to that
14 > is to have a
15 > > small rescue system in its own partition on each box, tailored
16 > to its
17 > > companion main system.
20 > > That's what I used to do until I found grub 2 could boot an ISO. Now
21 > I
22 > > only need to copy one file to /boot to update my rescue setup.
23 > > --
24 > > Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
25 >
26 > I have an usb stick for that. Advantage: even if the ssd containing /
27 > and /boot dies, I can get to my data in /home.
28
29 Oh, I have a couple of USB sticks too, but having it in boot means I don't have to look in half a dozen places to find one. The USB sticks are used in real emergencies.
30 --
31 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.