From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Verify WPA2?
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 19:56:34
1 On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>>>> Is there any way to verify that my wireless client connections are
3 >>>>> encrypted via WPA2?
4 >>>>>
5 >>>>> - Grant
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>
8 >>>> iwlist $interface scan
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Will give you enough information to tell if the wireless network
11 >>>> supports WPA (instead of being WPA2-only). I don't know how you might
12 >>>> inspect a connection from the client's perspective. That probably
13 >>>> depends on the tool you're using.
14 >>>
15 >>> Is it strange that I get this from iwconfig on the connected client:
16 >>>
17 >>> Encryption key:off
18 >>
19 >> That's normal. iwconfig only knows about WEP. WPA and WPA2 are
20 >> different animals.
21 >
22 > Got it, thanks for your help Michael.
23
24 Actually, I think I was only half-right. It's normal for iwconfig to
25 show Encryption key:off when connected to WPA and WPA2 networks, it's
26 true that WPA and WPA2 are different animals, and I believe it's true
27 that iwconfig only knows about WEP.
28
29 But there's something strange about the "Encryption key:" line. A
30 survey of my apartment from my laptop, which I connected to via ssh,
31 revealed that "iwconfig" reports "Encryption key:off", while "iwlist"
32 shows "Encryption key:on" for the BSSID I'm connected to (And I'm
33 showing "IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1" for my encryption mode).
34
35 I don't know the cause of the discrepancy, though I could guess at a
36 half-dozen different plausible sources.
39 :wq