From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Verify WPA2?
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 20:11:57
1 >>>>>> Is there any way to verify that my wireless client connections are
2 >>>>>> encrypted via WPA2?
3 >>>>>>
4 >>>>>> - Grant
5 >>>>>>
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>> iwlist $interface scan
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> Will give you enough information to tell if the wireless network
10 >>>>> supports WPA (instead of being WPA2-only). I don't know how you might
11 >>>>> inspect a connection from the client's perspective. That probably
12 >>>>> depends on the tool you're using.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Is it strange that I get this from iwconfig on the connected client:
15 >>>>
16 >>>> Encryption key:off
17 >>>
18 >>> That's normal. iwconfig only knows about WEP. WPA and WPA2 are
19 >>> different animals.
20 >>
21 >> Got it, thanks for your help Michael.
22 >
23 > Actually, I think I was only half-right. It's normal for iwconfig to
24 > show Encryption key:off when connected to WPA and WPA2 networks, it's
25 > true that WPA and WPA2 are different animals, and I believe it's true
26 > that iwconfig only knows about WEP.
27 >
28 > But there's something strange about the "Encryption key:" line. A
29 > survey of my apartment from my laptop, which I connected to via ssh,
30 > revealed that "iwconfig" reports "Encryption key:off", while "iwlist"
31 > shows "Encryption key:on" for the BSSID I'm connected to (And I'm
32 > showing "IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1" for my encryption mode).
33 >
34 > I don't know the cause of the discrepancy, though I could guess at a
35 > half-dozen different plausible sources.
36
37 I thought you were saying iwconfig doesn't know about WPA/WPA2 but
38 iwlist does. That would account for the discrepancy, right?
39
40 - Grant