From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AC WiFi Card
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 12:26:45
1 On 12/11/2015 13:52, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 09:05:02AM +0100, Ralf wrote:
3 >> On 11/12/2015 01:08 AM, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
4 >>> I do not run any APs, but I manage plenty of laptops with 5GHz Intel
5 >>> chipsets, and never had a problem. Is there any reason you are not
6 >>> using a dedicated AP instead of a wireless card in AP mode?
7 >>
8 >> I also thought so, but according to a friend of mine, running a card in
9 >> AP or monitor mode is quite different as running a card as client.
10 >> Especially if you want to have a dual stack ability.
11 >
12 > That makes sense. In my apartment I have a dedicated Netgear router and a
13 > dedicated TP-LINK AP. The AP was around $20, and has fantastic range.
14 > Having a dedicated AP sounds way easier to me than trying to do a
15 > dual-stack thing.
16 >
17 > Now that I think a bit more about it, having a wireless AP and a
18 > wireless client on the same chip doesn't sound good, since one MAC
19 > address would be doing two functions. That said, I am not even close to
20 > a networking guru; I hope someone else can chime in.
21
22 I also dislike trying to make hardware do two things, it always feels
23 hacky to me. Doubly so for workstation-grade wifi, quality in those
24 things is pretty shitty compared to decent equipment.
25
26 When it comes to creating a network in your living/work space, I always
27 prefer to just do it right and lay out the money for something decent.
28 Buy a real AP, position it in the place that gives best performance and
29 all your client hardware can use it. Sure, it costs some money but it's
30 money well spent on infrastructure and makes life so much easier. Moving
31 house? Take the AP with to the new house. 4 mates show up who want to
32 share stuff with you? An AP handles this much better than trying to get
33 a workstation to do it.
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com