From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AC WiFi Card
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 11:53:13
1 On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 09:05:02AM +0100, Ralf wrote:
2 > On 11/12/2015 01:08 AM, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
3 > > I do not run any APs, but I manage plenty of laptops with 5GHz Intel
4 > > chipsets, and never had a problem. Is there any reason you are not
5 > > using a dedicated AP instead of a wireless card in AP mode?
6 >
7 > I also thought so, but according to a friend of mine, running a card in
8 > AP or monitor mode is quite different as running a card as client.
9 > Especially if you want to have a dual stack ability.
10
11 That makes sense. In my apartment I have a dedicated Netgear router and a
12 dedicated TP-LINK AP. The AP was around $20, and has fantastic range.
13 Having a dedicated AP sounds way easier to me than trying to do a
14 dual-stack thing.
15
16 Now that I think a bit more about it, having a wireless AP and a
17 wireless client on the same chip doesn't sound good, since one MAC
18 address would be doing two functions. That said, I am not even close to
19 a networking guru; I hope someone else can chime in.
20
21 Alec