From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kde4 upgrading
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:44:54
1 I've edited your message when quoting it in order to meet my agenda.
2
3 On 28 Oct 2009, at 00:28, James wrote:
4 > ....
5 > PS, if one of you really smart guys figures out mass/parallel
6 > upgrades, then I'd use that, even set up my own server
7 > to keep it efficient. I'm not smart enough (not enough time
8 > at current mental aptitude) to set all of that up, unless
9 > somebody else does the foundational work.....
10 >
11 > But I very much like the concept. Upgrade a master system.
12 > Test it. Then push your own binaries/files to the other systems
13 > you manage.
14
15 There are already a number of ways of managing multiple machines. How
16 do you think universities, corporations and public bodies with
17 hundreds or thousands of desktops manage? I think I would be looking
18 at something like having the machines PXE boot a single image or NFS
19 mounting various directories, if I were in your situation. I've never
20 actually done this, but I'm sure a little research would produce a
21 less labour intensive solution.
22
23 > ...
24 > Interesting, but not what I'm looking for. I do not mind
25 > upgrading the systems one at a time. I just do 1 per day,
26 > while I do other work. What has me "hacked" is that every time
27 > I do an upgrade to kde4, it seems to be a different set
28 > of problems, even though the upgrades are a few days apart.
29 > Multiply across a dozen workstations, and it's a time sink.
30
31 It seems to me, from your description, that your dozen machines are at
32 the limit of your ability to maintain this way. No one would ever
33 consider upgrading sites with 100 machines one by one each day, and it
34 would be crazy to try and run a beefy thin-client server just to serve
35 one or two desktops.
36
37 So the network has grown from a couple of machines to a dozen, and
38 you're still doing things the same way - the question is, will you be
39 able to continue doing things the same way if you were to double the
40 number of PCs by next year?
41
42 I think that alternative methods of approaching system administration
43 are sure to bring their own problems and require an investment of time
44 to implement, but I don't see how upgrading machines one by one is
45 sustainable. Honestly, it would be driving me crazy to be in your
46 position, and I think some other alternative might well show time and
47 hassle saved once it's up and running.
48
49 Stroller.