From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kde4 upgrading
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:29:34
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > 4.3.2 seems to work fine for most folk. These days it's X causing grief, not
5 > KDE...
6
7 OK, so I keep the system locked down on X (that it is using) and just
8 deal with kde4 for now.
11 > Pick the primary workstation and get that one right, either using sets you
12 > like or the -meta packages.
15 kde-meta is ideal for me. I thought it was going away?
16 Since kde(4)-meta is alive and well, that is my preferred
17 method. I hope when kde-meta goes away (?) there is a migration
18 plan? When this whole kde4 venture started for me (feb 09)
19 I was told to avoid meta as it is going away.......
22 > x11-terms/clusterssh is your friend here:
23 > configure it to log into all your workstations;
24 > launch it;
25 > what you type is sent to every workstation
26 > aka how-to-update-many-machines-in-parallel
29 Interesting, but not what I'm looking for. I do not mind
30 upgrading the systems one at a time. I just do 1 per day,
31 while I do other work. What has me "hacked" is that every time
32 I do an upgrade to kde4, it seems to be a different set
33 of problems, even though the upgrades are a few days apart.
34 Multiply across a dozen workstations, and it's a time sink.
35 Granted, I have various CPU arch (intel or amd64)
36 different video hardware and various X and drivers that
37 contributes. But chasing down packages in sets and dealing
38 with the daily dynamic (every few days a different issue)
39 is just too much for me. META_MAN is my hero!
42 How long is kde-meta going to be around?
43 That's really what I'm looking for.....
44
45 PS, if one of you really smart guys figures out mass/parallel
46 upgrades, then I'd use that, even set up my own server
47 to keep it efficient. I'm not smart enough (not enough time
48 at current mental aptitude) to set all of that up, unless
49 somebody else does the foundational work.....
50
51 But I very much like the concept. Upgrade a master system.
52 Test it. Then push your own binaries/files to the other systems
53 you manage. Somebody figures that out, i.e. works out the bugs,
54 Gentoo is going mainstream...... If someone did that, they could
55 just put their admin scripts and settings in an ebuild. Then users
56 could just emerge that ebuild and set the list of installed packages.
57 VERY COOL.
62 James