From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 00:19:17
1 On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:08:05 +0700
2 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 > On Sep 27, 2011 5:11 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > [-- snip --]
8 >
9 > > Speaking as someone experienced in running Gentoo but certainly not
10 > > a power user - I don't write scripts or program at all - I gotta
11 > > say I don't like that way this is all working on my system so far.
12 > > TO BE CLEAR, I am SURE that I don't have everything configured as
13 > > well as it could possibly be, but I also suspect that would be true
14 > > for the majority of new wireless users on Gentoo after only a day
15 > > or two.
18 Just to throw a small spanner in the works....
19
20 All my wpa issues were solved long ago by dumping the gentoo net
21 scripts, then installing and running wicd where it all JustWorks(TM).
22
23 init.d scripts work great for static servers.
24 wicd works great for mobile laptops.
25 There's very little overlap between these two.
26
27 Have you considered using wicd at all?
33 > Not to belittle non-power users, most everything can be done by
34 > putting some more intelligence into the init.d scripts.
35 >
36 > Of course, this should be implemented by Gentoo itself. I'll spelunk
37 > in the relevant scripts and see what I can do.
38 >
39 > > My experience so far:
40 > >
41 > > 1) As discussed earlier, needing to mess with routes when changing
42 > > which network I'm using. Sad when both options actually point to the
43 > > same address.
46 > Solvable by putting commands to add/delete routes in postup() and
47 > predown()
48 >
49 > > 2) If I start with wlan0 turned off and switch to root to disable
50 > > eth0 and enable wlan0, I get a message that wlan0 is up but 'not
51 > > active'. Indeed, as a user if I start a browser it doesn't work.
52 > > However, if as root I ping the router I immediately get a response
53 > > and then my browser works fine.
56 > Can you check if pinging to self (i.e., wlan0's IP) activates the
57 > interface? If so, it will be a simple addition to postup()
58 >
59 > > 3) If I disable wlan0 and then reenable it it doesn't work until I
60 > > restart wpa_supplicant
63 > Okay, this will be more involved, since I have no experience with,
64 > nor any setup using, wpa_supplicant. But should also be possible
65 > through postup()
66 >
67 > > 4) So far wpa_gui cannot find any networks, or at least doesn't
68 > > display anything when I attempt a scan.
71 > This I'm not sure how to fix, since my Gentoo boxen has no GUI.
72 >
73 > > I don't understand at this point how to make this work for normal
74 > > users. Anyone in my family of three might want to pick this laptop
75 > > up and go to a different part of the house, or even go out of the
76 > > house and use the laptop with some public network. I haven't a clue
77 > > yet how anyone is supposed to change networks when they aren't
78 > > root. I understand that flies in the face of typical Linux
79 > > security, but it seems to me that a well thought out wireless
80 > > environment could figure out how to do that, and possibly has
81 > > already but I haven't found the info.
84 > Valid points. That's why I'll volunteer to 'tweak' the net script.
85 >
86 > > Anyway, I am THRILLED to have wireless working at all and appreciate
87 > > all the help I got getting there. Without question I couldn't have
88 > > gotten here without it.
91 > Rgds,
96 Alan McKinnnon
97 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com