From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 01:44:49
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:08:05 +0700
3 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sep 27, 2011 5:11 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >>
8 >> [-- snip --]
9 >>
10 >> > Speaking as someone experienced in running Gentoo but certainly not
11 >> > a power user - I don't write scripts or program at all - I gotta
12 >> > say I don't like that way this is all working on my system so far.
13 >> > TO BE CLEAR, I am SURE that I don't have everything configured as
14 >> > well as it could possibly be, but I also suspect that would be true
15 >> > for the majority of new wireless users on Gentoo after only a day
16 >> > or two.
17 >> >
18 >
19 > Just to throw a small spanner in the works....
20 >
21 > All my wpa issues were solved long ago by dumping the gentoo net
22 > scripts, then installing and running wicd where it all JustWorks(TM).
23 >
24 > init.d scripts work great for static servers.
25 > wicd works great for mobile laptops.
26 > There's very little overlap between these two.
27 >
28 > Have you considered using wicd at all?
31 Alan,
32 I haven't seriously considered wicd because I don't understand what
33 it is, how it links into everything else on the system.
34
35 For a user type the idea of dumping init scripts in favor of
36 something else is a _really_ foreign idea to me. As someone who has
37 used Gentoo for at least a decade please understand that I've never
38 done _anything_ like that before. I'm sure I can figure out more or
39 less how the scripts work, but there are other things I'd worry about
40 like some some system update deleting them, etc.
41
42 Reading the wicd homepage it looks like it could help, but how many
43 hours am I going to have to invest to get it running? Understand that
44 I've already dumped maybe 10 hours into getting here. I figure I'll
45 need another 10 hours of work - reading web pages, trying things out
46 and failing - before I feel like I should ask a question here, so
47 that's 20 hours minimum. Please understand that wireless was working
48 on this machine in Windows in under 10 minutes - not 20 hours!
49
50 The wicd homepage makes it all look so painless so I guess I should
51 go give it a try.
52
53 Cheers,
54 Mark