From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:22:05
1 On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:43:13 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > I haven't seriously considered wicd because I don't understand what
4 > it is, how it links into everything else on the system.
5 >
6 > For a user type the idea of dumping init scripts in favor of
7 > something else is a _really_ foreign idea to me. As someone who has
8 > used Gentoo for at least a decade please understand that I've never
9 > done _anything_ like that before.
10
11 You still run an init script, but it's the wicd init script, not the
12 net.wlan0 one. there's nothing magic about wicd, it just looks at which
13 interfaces are available and connects to the best one (best being defined
14 by you and then signal strength).
15
16 It can do a lot more, like running scripts when connecting and
17 disconnecting, which can be global or per-ESSID, and each network can be
18 set up as you want, but at its basic you set it to start with rc-update
19 and let it get on with the job.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 ST:TNG Diner - Now Featuring Our All You Can Assimilate SmorgasBORG!