From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 02:02:19
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:08:05 +0700
4 >> Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sep 27, 2011 5:11 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>> >
8 >>>
9 >>> [-- snip --]
10 >>>
11 >>> > Speaking as someone experienced in running Gentoo but certainly not
12 >>> > a power user - I don't write scripts or program at all - I gotta
13 >>> > say I don't like that way this is all working on my system so far.
14 >>> > TO BE CLEAR, I am SURE that I don't have everything configured as
15 >>> > well as it could possibly be, but I also suspect that would be true
16 >>> > for the majority of new wireless users on Gentoo after only a day
17 >>> > or two.
18 >>> >
19 >>
20 >> Just to throw a small spanner in the works....
21 >>
22 >> All my wpa issues were solved long ago by dumping the gentoo net
23 >> scripts, then installing and running wicd where it all JustWorks(TM).
24 >>
25 >> init.d scripts work great for static servers.
26 >> wicd works great for mobile laptops.
27 >> There's very little overlap between these two.
28 >>
29 >> Have you considered using wicd at all?
32 > Alan,
33 >   I haven't seriously considered wicd because I don't understand what
34 > it is, how it links into everything else on the system.
35 >
36 >   For a user type the idea of dumping init scripts in favor of
37 > something else is a _really_ foreign idea to me. As someone who has
38 > used Gentoo for at least a decade please understand that I've never
39 > done _anything_ like that before. I'm sure I can figure out more or
40 > less how the scripts work, but there are other things I'd worry about
41 > like some some system update deleting them, etc.
42 >
43 >   Reading the wicd homepage it looks like it could help, but how many
44 > hours am I going to have to invest to get it running? Understand that
45 > I've already dumped maybe 10 hours into getting here. I figure I'll
46 > need another 10 hours of work - reading web pages, trying things out
47 > and failing - before I feel like I should ask a question here, so
48 > that's 20 hours minimum. Please understand that wireless was working
49 > on this machine in Windows in under 10 minutes - not 20 hours!
50 >
51 >   The wicd homepage makes it all look so painless so I guess I should
52 > go give it a try.
53
54 Do your reading and such, but don't forget IRC exists. :)
57 :wq