From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 16:31:27
1 Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2018-04-01 09:15, Martin Vaeth wrote:
3 >
4 >> noscript, ublock-origin, and https-everywhere (maybe for privacy also
5 >> coupled with decentraleyes, duckduckgo{-privacy-esesntials},
6 >> canvasblocker, skip-redirect)
7
8 I had forgottten to mention: These WebExtensions (and some more)
9 can be installed system-wide with portage using the mv overlay. ;)
10
11 > Didn't know ublock was available as a webext.
12
13 This was one of the first extensions which had been rewritten.
14 It is even available for chromium. This (partial) browser independence
15 is another advantage of WebExtensions.
16
17 However, noscript uses some more advanced APIs which were
18 introduced more recently (and so far only in firefox but not chromium).
19 I do not know the details, but if I understood correctly, ublock-origin
20 can come "too late" in certain cases which could be fixed only by these
21 new APIs: This was the reason, that the WebExtension variant of noscript
22 had been delayed until firefox-57 came out. I have no idea whether current
23 versions of ublock-origin were able to fix these issues.
24
25 I have a bit experience with WebExtensions in general and must say I like
26 the concept: It gives enough power to program such protection extensions
27 and simultaneously makes it impossible to do malevolent things, unless
28 the extension requests corresponding permissions.
29 Legacy extensions, in contrast, could easily misuse their power and
30 break things (possibly even unintentional in case one of the frequent
31 API changes was happening).
32 Thus, the restriction of APIs indeed has a certain positive effect.
33
34 > I have been looking at them since I adopted palemoon mid-yesteryear.
35
36 An alarm sign for me was that palemoon was eventually dropped for
37 android after being practically unmaintained (i.e. with known open
38 security holes) for months/years. A similar alarm sign concerning
39 linux is that they were not able to pull the fixes for the assembler
40 code which relied on undocumented behaviour of <=gcc-5, even months
41 after gcc-7 was out. Even if these problems are not marked as
42 "security" issues, they can easily be some.
43
44 All in all, despite first I considered palemoon as a good idea,
45 I have removed it since some months for these security considerations.
46
47 > seems to me almost all are in new code added to FF after the fork, and
48 > moreover in code handling new web "features" which I never use.
49
50 Experience shows that it is not possible to "hide":
51 Sooner or later a website you do have to use for some reason
52 will require such a feature. Eventually the number of these
53 websites increases. And then you are at a dead end.
54 Nowadays, it has already "practically" become impossible to
55 use exclusively lynx or (e)links; in a while it will be impossible
56 to use a browser which does not support certain new "features".
57
58 > bundled version of freetype
59
60 I cannot comment much on this, but palemoon had a lot of bugs
61 if you unbundle libraries. In any case, this is more an ebuild
62 thing than an upstream thing: Unfortunately, unbundling is
63 supported by neither upstream.