From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 14:36:07
1 On 2018-04-01 09:15, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2
3 > If you speak about defenses like noscript, there are safer variants
4 > available. I guess the usage of the already mentioned user.js (of
5 > course adapted to your needs) together with current Webextensions
6 > noscript, ublock-origin, and https-everywhere (maybe for privacy also
7 > coupled with decentraleyes, duckduckgo{-privacy-esesntials},
8 > canvasblocker, skip-redirect) does protect you more than using old
9 > versions of these packages.
10
11 I'll look at these things. Didn't know ublock was available as a webext.
12
13 > Not to speak about freshly found security holes.
14
15 I have been looking at them since I adopted palemoon mid-yesteryear. It
16 seems to me almost all are in new code added to FF after the fork, and
17 moreover in code handling new web "features" which I never use.
18
19 > > This is a tangent from the thread topic, but there is another
20 > > inconvenience of modern FF that keeps me from re-adopting it: font
21 > > rendering.
22 >
23 > I do not have experience with this, but there is also a lot
24 > customizable in user.js (i.e. about:config). I guess you have
25 > to switch off (or on) some hardware acceleration. There is also
26 > a rich "themes" API which might contain relevant options.
27
28 Of course I'm no expert either (if I were, I would invest the effort to
29 make it work for me), but IMO this is not in FF proper but in the
30 bundled version of freetype - which cannot be unbundled via USE. So
31 it's all about this:
32
33 https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/subpixel-hinting.html
34
35 and the reasons I can make it work with palemoon:
36
37 1. palemoon doesn't bundle freetype
38
39 2. I froze my freetype at 2.7.1, the last version where it can still be
40 disabled
43 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
44 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
45 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
46 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.