From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 09:18:18
1 Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2018-03-31 08:18, Martin Vaeth wrote:
3 >
4 >> As usual, there is the balance
5 >> "convenience" (old plugins) <-> "security".
6 >> In the beginning (say, until firefox-52 is no longer supported
7 >> upstream), there is a certain choice. But after that staying on the
8 >> "convenience" side is not sane anymore.
9 >
10 > There are probably few people more familiar with this tradeoff than
11 > myself :P. But the browser case is a bit different, because the
12 > "convenience" features (in my case, at least) themselves have to do with
13 > security. Using the latest official Mozilla browser means trusting
14 > their built-in defenses are as good as my current plugin based ones.
15 > And I have doubts about that.
16
17 If you speak about defenses like noscript, there are safer variants
18 available. I guess the usage of the already mentioned user.js
19 (of course adapted to your needs) together with current Webextensions
20 noscript, ublock-origin, and https-everywhere (maybe for privacy
21 also coupled with decentraleyes, duckduckgo{-privacy-esesntials},
22 canvasblocker, skip-redirect) does protect you more than using
23 old versions of these packages.
24 Not to speak about freshly found security holes.
25
26 > This is a tangent from the thread topic, but there is another
27 > inconvenience of modern FF that keeps me from re-adopting it: font
28 > rendering.
29
30 I do not have experience with this, but there is also a lot
31 customizable in user.js (i.e. about:config). I guess you have
32 to switch off (or on) some hardware acceleration. There is also
33 a rich "themes" API which might contain relevant options.
34 However, as mentioned, I have no experience with all this.