From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 17:36:41
1 On 2018-03-31 08:18, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2
3 > As usual, there is the balance
4 > "convenience" (old plugins) <-> "security".
5 > In the beginning (say, until firefox-52 is no longer supported
6 > upstream), there is a certain choice. But after that staying on the
7 > "convenience" side is not sane anymore.
8
9 There are probably few people more familiar with this tradeoff than
10 myself :P. But the browser case is a bit different, because the
11 "convenience" features (in my case, at least) themselves have to do with
12 security. Using the latest official Mozilla browser means trusting
13 their built-in defenses are as good as my current plugin based ones.
14 And I have doubts about that.
15
16 This is a tangent from the thread topic, but there is another
17 inconvenience of modern FF that keeps me from re-adopting it: font
18 rendering. You will pry my beautiful thin DejaVu Sans from my dead
19 body, and give my dead body blurry webfonts in return.
22 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
23 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
24 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
25 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.