From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: updating old box: segfaults with python
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 10:15:50
1 On 01/09/2014 10:59:45 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 09.01.2014 09:16, schrieb Helmut Jarausch:
3 >
4 > > You can use sys-apps/memtester without physical access to the
5 > machine.
6 > > I had cases where memtester found errors which memtest86 didn't.
7 > > One of these cases was a machine which probably had a cache
8 > coherence
9 > > problem
10 > > since the error showed up only when more than one process ran
11 > memtester.
12 > > Replacing the CPU but not the memory fixed that problem.
13 >
14 > Thanks for the pointer ... how to use it to test the whole RAM? Just
15 > give it a value bigger than the available RAM or ... ? I just try it
16 > with a slightly lower value for now and will re-read the manpage.
17
18 You can't test all of memory, especially not low memory.
19 But if you had a problem with some chip mapped to low memory
20 I doubt Linux would even boot.
21 Furthermore, memtester locks pages, i.e. it disables paging.
22 So the machine might not be very responsive during the tests.