From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice for 64-bit n00b?
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:05:28
1 On 3 Mar 2010, at 15:29, Stroller wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I have started following the Gentoo Linux AMD64 Handbook, because
4 > the Quick Install Guide is described as "x86". Having untarred the
5 > stage I am surprised to find a lib32 directory. I thought
6 > compatibility with 32-bit binaries was optional. Or am I
7 > misunderstanding? This is going to be a headless server & I can't
8 > think that it'll need any binary packages - possibly the management
9 > utility for the RAID controller will be distributed as a binary, I'm
10 > not sure yet (the hardware RAID key was missing when I got this
11 > machine ☹)
14 Further to Alan's reply, I've proceeded a little further.
15
16 I'm onto section 2.3: Changing profiles, where it says:
17 "If you want to have a pure 64-bit environment, with no 32-bit
18 applications or libraries, you should use a non-multilib profile."
19
20 See my comments in the quoted above. It shouldn't be too expensive to
21 enable the RAID in this machine (which is on the mainboard, but
22 requires a little hardware PCB "key" to be fitted). That's a Dell
23 PERC4, which AFAICT is a rebadged LSI megaraid.
24
25 This post [1] http://tinyurl.com/3dzcl9 referrs to the management
26 utility thus: "MegaCLI comes as a RPM containing only a single
27 statically linked 32-bit Linux binary", however `eix mega` suggests
28 there may be alternatives, such as `megactl` [2]
29
30 My immediate thought when reading the handbook was that it's "best"
31 and "cleanest" and "more right" to only have 64-bit libraries on a 64-
32 bit system, but this need for the RAID management utility is making me
33 wonder if that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face.
34
35 Thoughts?
36
37 Stroller.