From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] do you USE="minimal" in /etc/make.conf?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 01:30:35
1 >> I try to run a minimal system in general so I added the minimal USE
2 >> flag to /etc/make.conf.  The only difference I've noticed so far is
3 >> the lack of color in vim.  Do you add minimal to /etc/make.conf and
4 >> remove it as necessary in package.use or the other way around?
5 >
6 > I read somewhere, can't remember where exactly, that you should not
7 > enable this flag globally, and I agree. The effect varies from one
8 > package to another, it's not like jpeg, which has predictable and largely
9 > consistent effects on all packages that use it. For example, with
10 > server/client packages, it usually disables building of the server part,
11 > whereas you have already found it does something completely different
12 > with vim.
13 >
14 > Check to see what it does on an individual package and then enable it in
15 > package.use.
16
17 I've found the same thing. It does something different to just about
18 every package.
19
20 - Grant