From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Converting time formats
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 02:30:33
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > As well as your other replies, check out ccze
3 >
4 > rattus ~ # esearch ccze
5 > [ Results for search key : ccze ]
6 > [ Applications found : 1 ]
7 >
8 > * app-admin/ccze
9 > Latest version available: 0.2.1-r2
10 > Latest version installed: 0.2.1-r2
11 > Size of downloaded files: 136 kB
12 > Homepage: http://dev.gentoo.org/~joker/ccze/ccze.txt
14 > License: GPL-2
17 > Pass your log through it for nicely coloured text (words like "alarm"
18 > and "error" are bright red to stand out) as well as converting date
19 > epoch on the fly, leaving it in context.
20 >
21 > BillK
26 This was a pfl log. It doesn't contain all that. I used to run it
27 manually but found that cron was set up to run it automajically. Thing
28 is, I wasn't sure how to tell if it was working so I checked the log
29 file. Well, the time stamp was not for human consumption, sort of like
30 those little silicone bags in electronic stuff. That lead me to reading
31 the date man page which I was pretty sure was the key but just missed
32 one important detail, the little @ sign.
33
34 Funny the things we run into sometimes. I did add the command to my
35 freq-commands file tho.
36
37 "This is how you convert time from the log files to human time. Don't
38 forget the @ sign.
39 date -d @<insert time stamp here> "
40
41 I went back to the man page, it sort of left the @ out on mine:
42
43 -d, --date=STRING
44 display time described by STRING, not `now'
45
46 No mention of the @ sign there. It does say to read the info file but I
47 very rarely get into those. I never have had any good luck with them.
48 I felt like I was in Hotel California once before. O_O I couldn't get
49 out. lol
50
51 Dale
52