From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] disk /dev entry
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 23:04:37
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 23:38 on Saturday 01 January 2011, Daniel D
2 Jones did opine thusly:
3
4 > This is more of a curiosity question than a problem. I just added a new
5 > diskdrive to my system. It's the same model as one I already have
6 > installed. lshw shows the following for the two disks:
7 >
8 > *-disk:2
10 > product: ST31000528AS
11 > vendor: Seagate
12 > physical id: 0.0.0
13 > bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
14 > logical name: /dev/sdc
15 > version: CC37
16 > serial: 9VP21EZB
17 > size: 931GiB (1TB)
18 > capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
19 > configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=2adeb97b
22 > *-disk
24 > product: ST31000528AS
25 > vendor: Seagate
26 > physical id: 0
27 > bus info: ide@1.0
28 > logical name: /dev/hdc
29 > version: CC3E
30 > serial: 9VP9G4VW
31 > size: 931GiB (1TB)
32 > capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm partitioned
33 > partitioned:dos
34 > configuration: signature=1e89b64b smart=on
37 > These are both SATA disks. Why is the first one showing up as /dev/sdc and
38 > the second as /dev/hdc? I thought all SATA disks would show up as sd* and
39 > EIDE disks showed up as hd*.
40 >
41 > I note that the bus info is different - one showing the scsi bus and one
42 > the ide bus. Both devices are plugged into a row of SATA ports on my
43 > mobo.
44
45 Maybe the new disk is set to IDE mode as shipped?
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com