From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] disk /dev entry
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 10:46:22
1 on 01/02/2011 12:22 AM Alan McKinnon wrote the following:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:38 on Saturday 01 January 2011, Daniel D
3 > Jones did opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> This is more of a curiosity question than a problem. I just added a new
6 >> diskdrive to my system. It's the same model as one I already have
7 >> installed. lshw shows the following for the two disks:
8 >>
9 >> *-disk:2
11 >> product: ST31000528AS
12 >> vendor: Seagate
13 >> physical id: 0.0.0
14 >> bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
15 >> logical name: /dev/sdc
16 >> version: CC37
17 >> serial: 9VP21EZB
18 >> size: 931GiB (1TB)
19 >> capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
20 >> configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=2adeb97b
23 >> *-disk
25 >> product: ST31000528AS
26 >> vendor: Seagate
27 >> physical id: 0
28 >> bus info: ide@1.0
29 >> logical name: /dev/hdc
30 >> version: CC3E
31 >> serial: 9VP9G4VW
32 >> size: 931GiB (1TB)
33 >> capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm partitioned
34 >> partitioned:dos
35 >> configuration: signature=1e89b64b smart=on
38 >> These are both SATA disks. Why is the first one showing up as /dev/sdc and
39 >> the second as /dev/hdc? I thought all SATA disks would show up as sd* and
40 >> EIDE disks showed up as hd*.
41 >>
42 >> I note that the bus info is different - one showing the scsi bus and one
43 >> the ide bus. Both devices are plugged into a row of SATA ports on my
44 >> mobo.
45 >
46 > Maybe the new disk is set to IDE mode as shipped?
47 >
48 or maybe the controller of the second disk is set to IDE in BIOS ...