From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to correctly read CPU temperature ?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:34:11
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [10-09-13 21:27]:
2 > On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 12:15 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > On the Inet I found some, but not very clear infos, which say, that
4 > >  the temperature sensing diodes of the AMD Phenom II x6 T1090 were
5 > >  wrong. Second thing is, when idleing the CPU of my box has only 34
6 > >  degree C -- which would be nice if true, but I dont believe that:
7 > >  The CPU is cooled with a Scythe Mulgen 2 Rev.B or with other words
8 > >  its only a fan and therefore only air cooling...
9 >
10 > I think you need either k8temp or k10temp module in your kernel. Check
11 > documentation in your kernel sources to see which chipsets are
12 > supported by each (or enable both and see which on works).
15 As stated by AMD itsself. the temperature read by that module are
16 relative and not absolute.
17 Thats why I use the output of tk0110-acpi-0.
18
19 Live-example, taken at the same time:
20
21 k10temp-pci-00c3
22 Adapter: PCI adapter
23 temp1: +19.0 C (high = +70.0 C, crit = +90.0 C)
24
25 atk0110-acpi-0
26 CPU Temperature: +34.0 C (high = +40.0 C, crit = +90.0 C)
27
28 This is a difference of 15 degree Centigrade inside the CPU.
29 I would like to have THAT fan, which accomplish THIS delta...
30 sigh...
31 Also the "high" values are definitely VERY different...
32
33 Science is the explanation, why somethingd does not work...
34
35 Best regards
36 mcc