From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:24:20
1 On Wednesday 22 September 2010 11:13:01 Jake Moe wrote:
2 > On 09/22/10 17:16, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 22 September 2010 06:36:50 Jake Moe wrote:
4 > >
5 > > <snipped>
6 > >
7 > >> Well, now that I've managed to get it booting, the only problem is that
8 > >> I can't seem to get the disk label working right. In GRUB's menu.lst,
9 > >> if I use root=LABEL=UsbRoot, it doesn't work (kernel panic, label not
10 > >> found, but sda1 is listed as available), but if I use root=/dev/sda1, it
11 > >> works. However, later in the boot process, it mounts / using
12 > >> LABEL=UsbRoot in fstab just fine. Is that a problem with GRUB? Or the
13 > >> kernel? Or am I doing something else wrong?
14 > >
15 > > I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that "label" support for
16 > > boot requires an initrd (ramdisk) to work. This could be what you're
17 > > running into?
18 >
19 > Quite possibly. I seem to be reading the same thing, but I thought I
20 > had heard from the list previously that it was possible.
21 >
22 > Actually, I've just found the e-mail I was thinking of before: Alan
23 > McKinnon's reply on 08/31/10 02:32 with the subject "Re: [gentoo-user]
24 > Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers" in which he said
25 > that he's always used labels and never needed an initramfs to make it
26 > work. So I might have to fiddle with it some more and see if I can't
27 > get it working.
28
29 I haven't used labels for that, so I don't know what is needed for that.
30 Maybe a kernel-config setting?
31
32 > >> And for future reference, while looking into various things for this, I
33 > >> found these in the Gentoo Wiki:
34 > >> USB Portable Install -
35 > >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/USB_Portable_Install Portable USB Gentoo
36 > >> - http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portable_USB_Gentoo
37 > >>
38 > >> Unfortunately, both use genkernel instead of manually configured
39 > >> kernels, so that part doesn't help, but one mentions the option
40 > >> "scandelay=2" to add to the kernel boot line in GRUB to introduce the
41 > >> delay genkernel needed to see the USB device; would have been good to
42 > >> know that last week when I was trying genkernel. :-P
43 > >
44 > > That is something I noticed for a few Howto's, genkernel is used quite
45 > > often, but I actually haven't seen the need for it myself yet.
46 > >
47 > > But I am glad to hear you managed to get it working.
48 > > Did you try trimming down your kernel a bit more to see what the minimum
49 > > required is? :)
50 > >
51 > > --
52 > > Joost
53 >
54 > No, I'm still trying to get a basic system up and running. After I
55 > booted into it, I tried to install v86d so I could try to get a
56 > framebuffer working and have more lines on my screen while I try to trim
57 > things down. However, I quickly ran into an "out of space" issue, which
58 > I found out was because of inodes, not size. So I had to copy the
59 > contents off, re-make the partition with more inodes, and then copy the
60 > data back on. Since then, I haven't had a chance to boot it and see how
61 > it's going. Hope to tomorrow.
62
63 Ouch :(
64
65 I'm usually a bit astumped when I get "out-of-space" issues and "df" still
66 shows plenty of free disk space.
67
68 Looking forward to your update :)
71 Joost
72
73 PS. Am thinking of playing around with that myself again sometime :)