From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:13:57
1 On 09/22/10 17:16, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 22 September 2010 06:36:50 Jake Moe wrote:
3 >
4 > <snipped>
5 >
6 >> Well, now that I've managed to get it booting, the only problem is that
7 >> I can't seem to get the disk label working right. In GRUB's menu.lst,
8 >> if I use root=LABEL=UsbRoot, it doesn't work (kernel panic, label not
9 >> found, but sda1 is listed as available), but if I use root=/dev/sda1, it
10 >> works. However, later in the boot process, it mounts / using
11 >> LABEL=UsbRoot in fstab just fine. Is that a problem with GRUB? Or the
12 >> kernel? Or am I doing something else wrong?
13 > I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that "label" support for boot
14 > requires an initrd (ramdisk) to work. This could be what you're running into?
15 Quite possibly. I seem to be reading the same thing, but I thought I
16 had heard from the list previously that it was possible.
17
18 Actually, I've just found the e-mail I was thinking of before: Alan
19 McKinnon's reply on 08/31/10 02:32 with the subject "Re: [gentoo-user]
20 Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers" in which he said
21 that he's always used labels and never needed an initramfs to make it
22 work. So I might have to fiddle with it some more and see if I can't
23 get it working.
24 >> And for future reference, while looking into various things for this, I
25 >> found these in the Gentoo Wiki:
26 >> USB Portable Install - http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/USB_Portable_Install
27 >> Portable USB Gentoo - http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portable_USB_Gentoo
28 >>
29 >> Unfortunately, both use genkernel instead of manually configured
30 >> kernels, so that part doesn't help, but one mentions the option
31 >> "scandelay=2" to add to the kernel boot line in GRUB to introduce the
32 >> delay genkernel needed to see the USB device; would have been good to
33 >> know that last week when I was trying genkernel. :-P
34 > That is something I noticed for a few Howto's, genkernel is used quite often,
35 > but I actually haven't seen the need for it myself yet.
36 >
37 > But I am glad to hear you managed to get it working.
38 > Did you try trimming down your kernel a bit more to see what the minimum
39 > required is? :)
40 >
41 > --
42 > Joost
43 >
44 No, I'm still trying to get a basic system up and running. After I
45 booted into it, I tried to install v86d so I could try to get a
46 framebuffer working and have more lines on my screen while I try to trim
47 things down. However, I quickly ran into an "out of space" issue, which
48 I found out was because of inodes, not size. So I had to copy the
49 contents off, re-make the partition with more inodes, and then copy the
50 data back on. Since then, I haven't had a chance to boot it and see how
51 it's going. Hope to tomorrow.
52
53 Jake Moe