From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 07:17:16
1 On Wednesday 22 September 2010 06:36:50 Jake Moe wrote:
2
3 <snipped>
4
5 > Well, now that I've managed to get it booting, the only problem is that
6 > I can't seem to get the disk label working right. In GRUB's menu.lst,
7 > if I use root=LABEL=UsbRoot, it doesn't work (kernel panic, label not
8 > found, but sda1 is listed as available), but if I use root=/dev/sda1, it
9 > works. However, later in the boot process, it mounts / using
10 > LABEL=UsbRoot in fstab just fine. Is that a problem with GRUB? Or the
11 > kernel? Or am I doing something else wrong?
12
13 I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that "label" support for boot
14 requires an initrd (ramdisk) to work. This could be what you're running into?
15
16 > And for future reference, while looking into various things for this, I
17 > found these in the Gentoo Wiki:
18 > USB Portable Install - http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/USB_Portable_Install
19 > Portable USB Gentoo - http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portable_USB_Gentoo
20 >
21 > Unfortunately, both use genkernel instead of manually configured
22 > kernels, so that part doesn't help, but one mentions the option
23 > "scandelay=2" to add to the kernel boot line in GRUB to introduce the
24 > delay genkernel needed to see the USB device; would have been good to
25 > know that last week when I was trying genkernel. :-P
26
27 That is something I noticed for a few Howto's, genkernel is used quite often,
28 but I actually haven't seen the need for it myself yet.
29
30 But I am glad to hear you managed to get it working.
31 Did you try trimming down your kernel a bit more to see what the minimum
32 required is? :)
35 Joost